I’ve recently caught the bug of growing an apartment garden and while researching I came across a lady who does it. I went to her house to get tips on what kind of plants can I grow and how to compost at home etc. When I was about to leave she gifted me 8 green raw tomatoes right from her garden! I had never used raw tomatoes before. She just told me to use these lovely green tomatoes as a vegetable and not as gravy base we normally use the red tomatoes for. “you will figure out the rest” is what she said and I did. Here is a super quick recipe for raw (green) tomato vegetable fry or Kachche (hare) tamatar ki subzi.
Raw Tomato Vegetable Fry
Preparation Time: 5 mins| Cooking Time: 6-7 mins| Serves 2
7-8 green raw tomatoes, chopped in large chunks
1 onion, chopped lengthwise
1 green chilli, chopped
1 tbsp Olive oil
A pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp fenugreek seeds (methidana)
4-5 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 tsp coriander powder
½1 tsp cumin powder
½ tsp red chilli powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp sugar [the sugar is to cut the sourness of tomatoes]
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
* Heat oil in non-stick pan
* Add asafoetida, cumin and fenugreek seeds.
* When the seeds begin to crackle, add garlic and green chillies. Sauté for a minute
* Add chopped onion, Saute for another minute.
* Add chopped tomatoes, mix well and cook covered for 2 minutes
* Add all the spices, mix well and again cook covered for 4-5 minutes (Keep stirring in between )till the tomatoes are done. The tomatoes should be just done, we don’t want them to get overcooked so much that they lose their shape. A little bit of bite in the tomatoes is good.
* Remove in a serving dish; garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot with rotis.