Yesterday when I started planning for dinner, I saw I barely had anything in my fridge. I had these two corn sitting in the vegetable drawer and I remembered that last week I had bought more spinach than I needed so I had blanched and pureed some of it and put it away in freezer. That is what I used.
That was it. Corn and spinach make a perfect match. I love the combination of the natural sweetness of corn and the saltiness of spinach.
I quickly made some spinach-corn gravy and paranthas and we were set.
Spinach Corn curry
1 cup corn kernels (you can use frozen ones or steam fresh corn kernels for about 20 mins)
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 green chilli, chopped
2 cups spinach puree
A pinch of asafoetida
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
Salt to taste
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chaat masala
2 tbsp oil
* If you are using fresh spinach, roughly chop and blanch it in a little water. remove from heat, let it cool and puree.
* On a side, put corn kernels for steaming. It usually takes about 15-20 mins for them to become soft.
* Heat oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add asafoetida, garlic and green chillies. Saute for a couple of minutes till the garlic just start to brown.
* Add the chopped onions and sauté for another 8-10 minutes till the onions become soft and turn slightly brownish.
* Now add the spinach puree and all the spices. Cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and blend together with a stick blender. I prefer stick blender because then I can control how much to blend, I do like a few pieces of onions here and there.
* Return to heat, add the steamed corn kernels. Cook covered for 2-3 minutes.
* Serve hot with paranthas.